How do you recognize developers who are good with reuse? those who excel with systematic reuse have several traits that distinguish them from their peers. Here are a few that came to mind. They:
- constantly improve their knowledge of software design
- pick appropriate reusable assets that solve specific problems
- have a solid understanding of how one asset fits with another
- not only focus on details of a particular component but also the overall architecture
- think about software in terms of assembling with a collection building blocks.
- continuously refactor existing code (classes, services, frameworks even)
- translate domain knowledge into software design enabling reusable business capabilities
- are realistic about the limitations of reusable assets and don’t attempt to reuse everything
- learn more about integration and product development by discovering and consuming assets
- mentor and guide peers to recognize opportunities for reusable assets beyond the immediate need.